- To conduct research on publishing status overseas and identify additional areas of foreign materials needed. To select and acquire appropriate local and foreign materials through purchases, exchanges and donations.
- To make a plan for collection development; collect, select, order, purchase, exchange and receive donated foreign materials in accordance to selected materials criteria of the National Library of Vietnam.
- To select, pack and exchange materials inland and overseas according to the orientations by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
- To select and register for materials received and transfer to relevant divisions for technical and professional processing
- To borrow and lend foreign materials to fulfill the need of domestic research on culture and introduce Vietnamese culture to foreigners.
- To receive donated materials from individuals and organizations inland and overseas, and to distribute them to beneficiaries in the country on request.
- To arrange, sort, store materials reserved for exchange and to manage the exchange storage.
- To coordinate with other professional departments and propose purchases of books and other materials to supplement the Library’s collections.
- To summarize, compile theoretical and professional guidance in the field of work assigned.